Professional Development Opportunities For We The People: The Citizen and the Constitution
All We The People training opportunities include a FREE classroom set of textbooks, which also includes a teacher's guide, reimbursement for mileage and accommodations for those traveling more than 100 miles one way, breakfast and lunch, and substitute reimbursement.
We the People Academy
Academies put teachers in their students' shoes as they receive lesson plans, content, and learn the ins and out of Law Related Education best practices. You are invited to take advantage of this excellent professional development opportunity!
Training Objectives: As a result of this training, participants will be able to do the following:
- Identify at least 2 teaching strategies used with the WTP curriculum
- Utilize interactive strategies to summarize student learning
- Explain how the WTP curriculum fits into law-related education
- Engage students in a simulated congressional hearing activity
Campus Issues Curriculum Addresses:
- Lack of understanding of rights and responsibilities
- Low academic achievement
- Lack of civic participation
*Officer Requirement: Officers will not be enrolled unless accompanied by a teacher. This training is free for all teachers.
To register or learn more about this and other LRE training opportunities, visit www.azflse.org/academy.
The Arizona We The People Summer Institute
The Arizona Foundation for Legal Services and Education hosts a Summer Institute each June (please see the application below for location). This week-long training is for We The People educators with students in upper elementary through high school grade levels, and of all levels of experience with the program. Selection is on a first come first served basis and the potential relevance of We The People to your teaching situation. 24 teachers from Arizona are selected each year to learn how to implement the We The People curriculum into their classrooms.
The institute offers a balance of content and pedagogy. Its rigorous program allows teachers to work with constitutional scholars from a variety of disciplines, but it also offers the same interactive lesson plans and mentoring offered in the We The People Academy. As a culminating activity, teachers participate in a simulated congressional hearing just like their students would do.
Participants of the Institute receive the following:
- Lodging and meals (Lodging available to those traveling outside of Maricopa County)
- Travel Reimbursement
- Classroom set of textbooks
- Supplemental resource books and lesson material
- Over 40 Professional Development Hours
- Opportunity to receive Graduate Credit hours from Arizona State University
This Institute is provided at NO COST to participating teachers through the generosity of the Foundation and the Center for Civic Education, and is hosted by the Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education.
The 2007 We the People Summer Institute